It’s been awhile since my last post (holidays, flu and life), but I’m hoping this post will make up for lost time. If you’re like me and love the duality of sweet and salty, this recipe will be the taste bud tickler you’ve been waiting for.
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12ounces bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt or coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup maple sugar (if you don’t have it, go ahead and stick with brown)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup (I’ve substituted honey in its place)
- Render bacon in heavy skillet until close to crispy. Transfer to plate and reserve drippings. Coarsely chop bacon.
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Pour some of the bacon drippings in large pot, add popcorn kernels and heat over medium high heat. Shaking often until popping stops. Transfer to large bowl. Add bacon, salt and pepper to bowl of popcorn.
- Stir sugar, cup water, and corn syrup in large saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high; boil without stirring until syrup turns dark brown, swirl the pot occasionally. Remove from heat and immediately add cream (mixture will bubble up). Stir until blended. Immediately drizzle caramel over popcorn mixture; toss with greased spoons (greased with bacon fat of course) until evenly coated. Transfer to greased baking sheet.
- Cook for 20 minutes in the oven, until popcorn and caramel adhere.
- Sit back with a beer and watch it disappear.